Want to experience hands-on archaeology? Check out our archaeology dig programs.
Archaeology Dig Programs
WHAT WE OFFER
Explore a site that’s changing our understanding of early Colonial life in North America.
Start at our Visitor Centre. Its introductory film and exhibit will set the scene and introduce you to the Colony’s cast of characters. Upstairs you’ll find our Archaeology Lab where trained staff process the thousands of artifacts unearthed each week. Then, head out with a local guide. They’ll help you de-code our ongoing excavations and (from Monday-Friday) introduce you to our archaeologists. Stroll our heritage gardens and don’t miss our recreated 17th century kitchen where you can touch and taste the daily life of Ferryland’s first settlers.
Regular admission includes guided tour and access to our visitor centre, conservation lab, archaeological site, and 17th-century kitchen and gardens. Family and youth admissions include FREE rental of our Baltimore Backpacks. Bilingual self guided tours always available and bilingual guided tours are available upon request.
Visit Corridor Canada’s website to discover francophone cultural and touristic activities in Canada.
CHECK OUT WHAT WE’VE DISCOVERED.
Our work has unearthed a portion of Calvert’s mansion, the remains of a bakery/brewhouse, cobblestone street, warehouse, forge, well, sea wall, a sea-flushed privy and close to two million artifacts. Pretty impressive considering archaeologists have uncovered just over a third of Calvert’s original 4 acre site.
- Perfect Timing. The Colony is open 7 days a week for tours 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM from June 11-September 14, 2018. Our archaeologists are on site Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM and the 2018 dig season will run from June 25 to August 17 . Our Gift Shop is open 7 days a week from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM from June 11-September 14, 2018.
- Relax and Refuel. Visitors are welcome to bring a picnic and enjoy the Colony’s grounds.
- We dig dogs! Leashed pets are welcome on site. Sorry, service dogs only inside buildings.
- When Nature Calls. Public toilets, including facilities for folks with limited mobility, are located inside our Visitor Centre.
- Click away! The Colony of Avalon welcomes photographers. Please share your photos with us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Parlez Vous Francais? Please inquire about availability of French-language guided tours. Printed versions of our tour are available in French at Reception.
- Limited mobility? Blue Zone parking is available immediately outside our Visitor Centre. A chair lift is available to our second floor. While most visitors walk from the Visitor Centre, parking is also available next to the archaeological site. Please ask staff for directions. Access around the archaeological site is uneven but fairly level.
- Expect the unexpected. Weather in Newfoundland is unpredictable. No matter what the temperature or state of the sky, pack a warm layer and a raincoat. Skip the sandals. Sneakers or walking shoes work best on site.
- Need Access to WIFI? No problem! Paid admission gives all visitors free access to WIFI while you enjoy your visiting the Colony of Avalon.
TIMES & PRICES
Our 2022 Season will run from:
June 13 to September 12
Tours Available : 7 days a week
Tour Times: 10:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:30 PM, 3:00 PM, & 4:30 PM
Gift Shop Hours : 7 days a week 11 AM – 6 PM
Admission Fees (HST Included):
Senior: $13.00 (65+)
Family: $37.00 (2 Adults and up to 4 Children under 18)
Members & Children under 5: FREE
We know people are struggling right now, we have kept our admission rates the same this year to encourage you to visit.
Telephone: 1 (709) 432-3200
Toll Free: 1-877-326-5669